By Deborah Jeanne Sergeant
Rafting: a sunny day, the spray of water in your face and free-flowing movement on the river. The Adirondacks region offers several venues to enjoy the high adrenaline rush of river rafting. Here are a few examples:
• Whether you’re alone or are bringing along the entire family, Adirondac Rafting Co. in Indian Lake can set you up for your water adventure with guides and equipment. Adirondac Rafting Co., 100 W. Main St., Indian Lake. 518-523-1635.
• In addition to rafting, ADK Aquatics can also outfit you for waterskiing, jet skiing, boat tours and more in Lake Placid. ADK Aquatics, 35 Victor Herbert Rd., Paradox Bay Marina, Lake Placid.
• Adirondack River Outfitters also provide a wide variety of water-based activities. Choose between their Thousand Islands or Adirondacks location. The latter offers their Aerial Adventure Ropes Course, canoe rentals, and paintball area in the woods. They also like making their guests barbecued chicken. Adirondack River Outfitters, 3115 State Route 28, North River.
• North Creek Rafting Company in North Creek plans day trips and overnight trips for rafting, tubing, boat tours and other water sports. Tour organizers provide you with everything you’ll need. North Creek Rafting Company, 9 Ordway Lane, North Creek.
• Perfect for families with older and younger children, Adirondack Tubing Adventures in Lake Luzerne arranges tours for lazy river tubing and more adventuresome rafting. The Treetop Adventures include climbing, zip lines, and the optional freefall jump. You can combine any or all the activities. Adirondack Tubing Adventures, 877 Lake Ave., Lake Luzerne. 518-696-6133.
Before planning a rafting adventure, ensure your family is up for the challenges involved. Some tour groups accommodate younger children, for example, while others don’t.
Follow all the safety instructions. You may have experience in rafting, but the guides possess more experience, plus familiarity with the equipment and venue. Even strong swimmers should wear a lifejacket, as currents can pull people under the water easily. Helmets can help protect your head in case of a spill into the water.
To find a place to go rafting, visit www.iloveny.com/things-to-do/outdoor-adventures/whitewater.